Thursday, September 25, 2014

Drum Lessons!

I guess you can say music runs in my side of the family.  Accroding to Ren, he has a cousin who is an accomplished pianist who travels the world too, so we can just go ahead an say he has a little bit on his side of the family;-)
B has always banged on anything and everything since he was a baby.  Which kid doesn't?  I know I ruined a few of my mom's pans that way(Sorry Mom!). But add that with his love of the Blue Man Group parade and music in general, I had thought about lessons for him for awhile.  If you ask people with a music background, they say wait til they are at least 6 and can read then you can start lessons if they show an interest.  So about a year ago he had his first lesson and loved it.  His first lesson was with Ryan and he is probably one of the nicest people I have ever met.  And he has the patience of a saint to deal with my kid, and they both would have fun during the lessons.  But like most teachers here, they are musician and do lessons on the side.  So that means he rarely has days off and travels the country and world for his job.  So we don't get to see him often but I text him videos of B every now and then and when he gets a chance, he has a lesson with B. 
Since B was enjoying lessons so much I tried to see about getting him some on a more consistent basis.  Ren knew someone who was a teacher so I nicely asked if he could ask him to ask around to see if he knew someone willing to give B lessons.  I figured that would produce better results than a google search.  He found someone who was willing to open her already full schedule for us.  We laugh each time after the lesson that she probably texts her friend who refered her and says he owes her big time!  Rachel is his teacher now and she is also a saint and in the few months he has had lessons with her, has taught him so much.  It was important for me to find someone who would teach B to read music.  To watch his little brain absorb it all each week is fun.  He loves to finsih one thing in his lesson and go right back to talking to her about anything and everything.  Yes, she knows all about the show he's going to have, his bunk bed, his school, skylanders, etc.). 
Will he have his famous show on the strip someday as he has talked about?  That remains a question. But taking lessons now to help him grow and develops has been fun for all involved and we can't thank his two teachers enough for taking on our 7yr old for this adventure. 
 

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Good post but B's fans need more videos!